From: Turner, John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 3:25 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: RewriteRules and Standalone Tomcat

Many people do not run Tomcat on port 80.  Some do.  Those who don't, run
Apache on port 80 and use a connector to pass requests to Tomcat.

"Tomcat Stand-alone" means Tomcat running on port 80, or some other port
with the port number appended to the request.  That is, no Apache "in the
mix".

The suggestion to use RewriteRule only works if you use mod_rewrite, which
is an Apache module.  This means that Tomcat no longer listens on port 80,
but on another port such as 8009, and communicates with Apache via that
port.  Apache listens on port 80, and in the case of the proposed solution,
mod_rewrite would process the URL prior to the Tomcat connector (mod_jk or
mod_jk2) getting it, which would avoid the 302 from Tomcat you are concerned
about, since Tomcat would see it as a normal request, not a request that
needed to be redirected or forwarded to the default welcome page.

RewriteRule cannot be used in Tomcat by itself.  Not in server.xml, not in
web.xml.  It is a mod_rewrite directive, and mod_rewrite is an Apache
module.  If you want to use RewriteRule and mod_rewrite, install Apache,
setup mod_rewrite, setup a connector, disable the CoyoteConnector on port 80
(and 8080 if it is still enabled) in server.xml, make sure there is a
CoyoteConnector listening on port 8009 (or some other port for JK/JK2) in
Tomcat's server.xml, and call it good.

If you do not want to use Apache in any way shape or form, then wait for or
apply the patch pointed out by Tim earlier in the thread.  Judging from what
I read in that thread, there are very good reasons for the 302, though I
didn't pursue the thread far enough back to get an idea of exactly what they
are.  In any case, with the patch, the existing behavior (302) is the
default, and you will have to specifically configure Tomcat to behave
differently.

John