Thank you Peng.  You were correct.  Tomcat was already running, having
started automatically upon bootup.  Now I will be unsubscribing from the
list.  Thanks again.

Mark Steere
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Are you installing tomcat from a exe ?
> If so you may have already started tomcat from the service, in this case
>   it is already started, you can test by going to port 8080 on your own
> machine using the web browser.
> If you prefer to run from a batch file, either stop the current service
> and disable it from running.
>
> It's also possible you might be running something else on that port.
>

> Mark wrote:
> > Hi, I am attempting to install and run Tomcat 4.1 on my Windows XP
system.  I have followed the instructions as far as:
> >   1. Downloading and installing J2SDK 1.4.1_01
> >   2. Setting the CATALINA_HOME variable to c:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Tomcat 4.1
> >   3. Setting the JAVA_HOME variable to c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
> >   4. Including %JAVA_HOME%\bin in the PATH variable.
> >   5. Restarting the computer.
> >
> > Problem: When I click on the Start Tomcat icon, a window appears, a
listing appears briefly in the window and then the window quickly
disappears.

> > At the command prompt, I get the following listing for the startup
command and the shutdown commands:

> > C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>startup
> > Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
> > Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
> > Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
> > Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>shutdown
> > Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
> > Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
> > Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
> > Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1_01
> > Catalina.stop: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
> > java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
> >         at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
> >         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:426)
> >         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:376)
> >         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:291)
> >         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:119)
> >         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:581)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
> >         at
> > java:39)
> >         at
> > sorImpl.java:25)
> >         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
> > C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\bin>
> >
> > I'm not sure what's really supposed to happen at this point, but
something doesn't seem right.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance.

> > Mark Steere
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>