I'm assuming that you are using the ApacheConfig class to auto-generate
configuration directives for Apache's httpd.conf.

Tomcat needs time to start up, and the ApacheConfig class needs time to
write mod_jk.conf (or whatever file you are using).

So, you have to put a delay into the process somewhere.  Like a "sleep 20"
or something right after the Tomcat script executes, but before Apache is
started, or take both of them out of init.d and put the startup into
rc.local where you have more explicit control over what runs when, and stick
the delay in there.

John