Are you talking about simple IIS based authentication, or Tomcat based
authentication (using declarative security)?

This is a complete guess, but I would think that the IIS authentication
would be the same for any resource (whether it's a static resource served by
IIS or a dynamic one backed by Tomcat).

You'd like to think that the IIS Authentication mechanism would kick in
before Tomcat even has a chance to see the request, and that by the time
Tomcat DOES see it, then its, implicitly, already authenticated and all of
the authentication HTTP headers should be in the request passed to Tomcat.

I'm not an IIS expert (heck, I'm not even a novice or a user!), but that's
all based on how I perceive things SHOULD work.

Let us know what you find out!

Regards,

Will Hartung
([EMAIL PROTECTED])