Try it from http://localhost:8080/myApp/myAppServlet

That might work -- your URL-mapping doesn't say to look for servlet/myAppServlet.

Erik

Mark wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to run a simple Hello world servlet called myAppServlet. I'm using Windows XP, Tomcat 4.1, and j2sdk 1.4.1. The servlet WILL run when I put it in webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes. I can run it with the browser address, http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/myAppServlet

However, the servlet will not run when I locate it in webapps/myApp/WEB-INF/classes. When I try to run it with the browser address, http://localhost:8080/myApp/servlet/myAppServlet, I get the HTTP Status 404 error message.

I put the following web.xml file into the webapps/myApp/WEB-INF folder, which didn't have any effect:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
"http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>
<servlet>
<servlet-name>myAppServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>myAppServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>myAppServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/myAppServlet</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

I also stopped and started the computer to make sure that Tomcat was stopped and started again.

It seems as though Tomcat is not seeing my myApp application. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark Steere
[EMAIL PROTECTED]