You must wrap the response in a HttpServletResponse wrapper then override the getOutputStream/Writer with your own methods which provide a "proxy" to the real getOutputStream/Writer. The wrapped object then goes to the next filter in the chain.

In other words, a pain in the a$$. Before re-inventing this - look around to what other people already did.

If you really want to do this - look at the various compression fitlers available and store in cache instead of compress.

-Tim

rf wrote:
In my filter I want to cache the content of
HttpServletResponse so that I can save that in a file
and use a static file's servlet for the next request.
However, I am not able find interface to get the
(html)content from the response object.
if (up2date) {
RequestDispatcher rd =
request.getServletDispatcher ("static.html");
rd.forward (request, response);
}
else
{
chain.doFilter (request, response);
//***Then save the html response to static html
}

So any clues as to how to obtain the "content" of
response. The HttpServletResponse has methods to
get/set the HTTP headers and cookies, but does not
have anything for the HTTP's body. It is also not
possible to read from response.getOutputStream.
What do you guys think?

Thank you
~rf