From: Raible, Matt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 8:58 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: debugging help

Here's an Ant task that can be very helpful in these situations:

    <target name="start.tomcat">
        <java classname="org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap" fork="yes">
            <jvmarg value="-Dcatalina.home=${tomcat.home}"/>
            <arg value="start"/>
            <classpath>
                <fileset dir="${tomcat.home}">
                    <include name="bin/bootstrap.jar"/>
                    <include name="server/catalina.jar"/>
                </fileset>
            </classpath>
        </java>
    </target>

If you're not using Ant, you can use the following command line argument
from your $CATALINA_HOME directory:

java -cp "bin/bootstrap.jar;server/catalina.jar"
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

HTH,

Matt