Are there any potential classloader problems with putting .jar files that are shared across webapps (ie. junit, cactus, etc) in ../common/lib vs. ../shared/lib?

We've been tossing .jars into ../common/lib, but after reading the Tomcat classloader how-to it seems that's discouraged, ie. should be done only when the classes are needed both by Tomcat and applications such as db drivers for JDBC realm and application use. I'm guessing, but does putting the .jars in ../shared/lib would spread work out better between classloaders?

Our application and integration tools are working great, but the fact we're not configured the way the how-to suggests concerns me.

TIA