The Tomcat 4.1.12 release notes.

>  I remember this
> used to work earlier.

Right.  The invoker servlet was disabled due to inherent security risks.

>  is this the case only with tomcat or
> with all app servers?

Well, it never worked across all app servers in the first place.  The
invoker servlet is common in many app servers, but it was never part of
the spec.

> I tried out different options like putting /servlets or
> /servlet before the servlet class, but the only time it
> worked was when I specified the servlet class in the web.xml
> AND a <servlet-mapping> entry as well.  My question is, is
> this a standard being followed universally?

The /servlet thing was never any kind of magic special case, it was just
mapped to a servlet called InvokerServlet that invokes other servlets by
name.  Frequently, however, this poses security risks that might not be
known to server administrators or application developers, so in Tomcat
4.1.12 and later, the mapping to the InvokerServlet is commented out by
default.  It is generally true that for a URL to be served by a servlet
container, it needs to refer either to a resource in the webapp, or a
mapping defined for a servlet or filter.

Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863