I got that message, spent hours fiddling with classpath, JAVA_HOME, etc, to no avail.

I then re-downloaded Tomcat , and re-installed, and it worked. I *may* have noticed a "copy failed" message flash by in the first autoinstall log. Worth a try. . .

Good luck,

Martin

Marcelino Cruz wrote:

I know that this topic has been covered over and over... I went to the
archives but didn't find a solution to my problem.

I downloaded and installed (on Solaris 8 box) jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18.
Unzipped the file (I don't have GNU Tar installed on this machine to get the
tar version, and my company has FTP firewall access blocked).

I have Java v1.4.1_01. JAVA_HOME is set to the location of the
aforementioned Java version. CATALINA_HOME is set to the installation
location of jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18. I proceed to start tomcat and it comes
up. Then when I try to access it with http://myserver.company.com:8080 I
get the following error:

---

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
[javac] Compiling 1 source file

/export/home/u01/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/work/Standalone/localhost/_/index_jsp
.java:266: handlePageException(java.lang.Exception) in
javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext cannot be applied to (java.lang.Throwable)
if (pageContext != null) pageContext.handlePageException(t);
^
1 error

...and a long stack trace...
---

I've tried everything I've run into in the archives. Jasper uses Ant. How
can I ensure that the correct jar files are being called so that Jasper/Ant
can compile JSP files? Why isn't it working? Please help. I need to
evaluate a content management solution (Red Hat's CCM) that runs on top of
Tomcat.

Thank you.

MC