Steve,

For the most part, I have not been following your post.  But a switch case
(in Java) should be formatted as:

switch(someThing) // someThing is the piece of data you want to analyze
{
      case a: case b: case c:  //where a, b, and c are possible values of
someThing - format may be different depending on what type of variable
someThing is)
        /*whatever code you want to happen
        if the value of someThing
        is one of these cases*/
      case d: case e:
        /*etc until you have covered all
        cases of possible values for someThing*/
      default:
        /*How to handle if someThing was not matched to a case,
        usually an error handler - similar to the else in an if/else
conditional statement*/
}

HTH

Denise Mangano