Yes, very.  This isn't a problem with mod_jk, as far as I can tell.

The 8080 URL didn't work for me just now, which implies to me that Tomcat
isn't even up, but that might be due to maintenance instead of error.

Can you post the log entries that you get when you try to access the
examples on port 80?  Apache's log, mod_jk's log in particular.  You might
need to jack up JK's logging level.

John