-----Mensagem original-----
De: Martin Jacobson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Enviada em: terca-feira, 11 de fevereiro de 2003 06:12
Para: Tomcat Users List
Assunto: Re: Little system X Great architecture

Jose Euclides da Silva Junior - DATAPREVRJ wrote:
> Hi,
> i need to code a system in which there is no many business rules, but i
need
> data persistence in a database. Even if this system will have an
enterprise
> users scope, should i use EJB technology? What about only servlets/jsp?
> Regards,
> Euclides.

The application I am currently developing seems similar to yours: I have
persistant data in a relational database, with a Web-based client tier.
I have abstracted the SQL-specific stuff into separate classes (this
means I can easily switch between MySQL [development] & Oracle
[production]. Business-level logic (including transactions) is in a next
layer of code, while the servlets do the presentation-level work only.
I don't use JSPs, as I found that using an HTML template engine
(Velocity) provides a cleaner separation of the HTML generation.

I did consider EJBs initially, but rapidly came to the conclusion that
my app was *way* too small - the overheads are so great that you need a
substantial application before you reach break even.

HTH

Martin