On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 10:06, krip pane wrote:

> i'm running tomcat 4.1.12.  I've a few questions any
> and all help is truly appreciated.
>
> 1. what's the best way to monitor the health of
> tomcat?

There are a number of ways to do this: process watching, scripts that
access the certain URLs and match the result with what is expected,
third-party monitors like Big Brother, etc.

> 2. Is the default connector that comes packaged with
> tomcat capable of doing failover,loadbalancing or do I
> need to have apache in the front and a connector in
> between.

You need to have Apache out in front with a connector in between.

> 3. Is it possible to redirect tomcat to port 80 (or do
> i need apache in the front again) to avoid having the
> users type 8080 everytime?

You can have Tomcat use port 80, but you have to change the server.xml
to reflect that and start Tomcat as Root. However, you would not have
the load-balancing/failover.

> 4. while starting tomcat as user "tomcat" i keep
> getting "tomcat-users permission denied".  only
> wrokaround I found was to either give the user write
> access to the conf dir or comment out the memoryrealm
> altogether.  One, is it a good idea to give the suer
> write access to conf dir. Two i have to setup a user
> list (currently locally) to allow access to tomcat, if
> i comment out the memeoryrealm then how do i
> authenticate my users.

I give the user 'Tomcat' the ownership of the Tomcat directory. Should
be no pproblem with that, as log as the conf directory is not in the
'ROOT' docbase directory.

The answer above should fix two.

Ben Ricker

--