yes.  and i can access it directly, but not indirectly.

Peter Choe

At 01:24 PM 2/11/2003, you wrote:
Just to re-cap...  Here's what your application structure looks like...

/usr/lib/tomcat/conf/server.xml <-- contains <Context path="petersapp" .../>
/usr/lib/tomcat/webapps/petersapp/ <-- context root folder
/usr/lib/tomcat/webapps/petersapp/WEB-INF/web.xml <-- contains
<location>/missing.html</location>
/usr/lib/tomcat/webapps/petersapp/missing.html <-- world readable file for
404 errors

Can you confirm this?

Can you access the error document directly?
http://localhost:8080/petersapp/missing.html

But not indirectly?  http://localhost:8080/petersapp/badmedicine

Make sure that everything is spelled correctly and in the correct upper and
lower case.

Is Apache running between your browser and Tomcat?  (Perhaps try JkMount
/petersapp/* instead.)

Do you have any servlet filters or Values running?

I am running out of ideas as to what the problem might be.  If none of these
point to the problem, then I am uncertain as to what it might be.

Does anyone know what characteristics Tomcat 3.2 (what Peter is using) has
versus 4.1 (what I'm using) with respect to serving errors documents or
.html documents?  (relevant spec change?  webapp DTD version?  invoker
servlet problem perhaps?)

Sean Dockery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Certified Java Web Component Developer