On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Steve Bucknam wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:14:42 -0500
> From: Steve Bucknam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: server-*.xml
>
> I have one Tomcat server for many developers.  Each developer needs
> there own host web app.  Each webapp has it's own name.  I could use the
> default mechanism of http://localhost:8080/<war-file-name>/, but then I
> can't allow each developer to specify a custom realm unless they are all
> editing the same server.xml file.  I don't want to do this.  I'd much
> rather have developers create their own server-*.xml file.

You can create such a file, but it should only contain the <Context>
element (and nested things like custom realms), and then use the Manager
webapp in one of two ways:

* Use the "install" command, and point at your context.xml file
  if your developers are logged in to the same machine that
  Tomcat is running on, or Tomcat has network access to the
  directories containing the webapp.

* Use the "deploy" command, and include the context config file
  in the WAR at "/META-INF/context.xml".  This works even if your
  users are on their own PCs separate from the machine running
  Tomcat, but takes a little longer because the WAR has to be
  uploaded each time.

For such use, you'll need to ensure that the <Host> configuration
attributes are set to recognize context config files -- see the config
docs for the "deployXML" attribute.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Craig