On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 07:46, Ramkumar Krishnan wrote:
> Hi All,
>             I am a newbie to 4.1.18. We want to move our system (which
> is already running in live)to tomcat 4.1.18 from tomcat 3.2.1. Will
> there be a major work  involve?. How much time it will take?...What
> will be the major changes?..If you have any documents relating to
> this, please send it to me.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

The move is a rather large one. Both the server.xml and web.xml have
changed. Here is a rough outline of how I moved from 4.0.5 to 4.1.18:

1) Installed new version in a different directory then older version.
2) Changed Listening ports to different ports so that old and new
version could coexist without stomping on each other ports.
3) Started new version.
4) Checked to make sure all the examples and admin ran correctly in the
new port (see docs)
5) Added old configs to new configs (i.e., added special loggers, setup
mod_jk Listener, etc. I still keep the different port assignments)
6. Tested my Web Apps using the different ports
7. Take down new version and change port assignments to the same ports
as old setup.
8. Take down old version
9. Start new version
10. Test, Test, Test.