You have to decide whether you want your application to be in the ROOT
webapp (replacing the default) or in a separate webapp. You want either
one of the following:

C:\tomcat 4.1\webapps\ROOT\                                    for the
.JSP files
C:\tomcat 4.1\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF                             for the
.TLD and .XML files
C:\tomcat 4.1\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\com\wrox\ch10       for the
.java and .class files.

or

C:\tomcat 4.1\webapps\beginjsp_ch10
for the .JSP files
C:\tomcat 4.1\webapps\beginjsp_ch10\WEB-INF
for the .TLD and .XML files
C:\tomcat 4.1\webapps\beginjsp_ch10\WEB-INF\classes\com\wrox\ch10
for the .java and .class files.

In other words, new webapps go directly into $CATALINA_HOME\webapps,
*not* into $CATALINA_HOME\webapps\ROOT.
Phone 202-463-4860 ext. 258 / Fax 202-463-4863