Howdy,
Pretty much no one will be able to help you with tomcat 5 questions as
it's not even alpha yet.  You built it yourself, it's your
responsibility ;)

However, tomcat context autoloading in the 4.1 branch should work.
Please do a clean installation of the latest stable release (4.1.18).
The root and examples contexts are explicitly defined in the default
server.xml.  The docs context is not.  Please try to access all three of
the above webapps without modifying anything in server.xml or web.xml.
If they don't work, please post any exceptions from your logs.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.