Matt,

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner (or did you post before you purchased?).

I've installed a Thawte Certificate (one year ago), and then installed the renewal certificate again this month.

The first installation was a nightmare, because no-one seemed to know all of the required details (and you must get them ALL correct, or nothing works!)

Anyway, the technicians at Thawte finally figured the problem, and we got it working.

This time, I simply followed the same process and it worked the very first time.

I'm attaching an abbreviated step-by-step for SSL certificates using ONLY Tomcat (no Apache in the loop). This is a DOS-type BATCH file that I used on my Win2K machine to generate the appropriate certificates. The actual certificate runs on my production server, which is Solaris 2.8 on a Sparc E250, running only Tomcat and MySQL. In otherwords, the process should be portable.

The only other IMPORTANT item is the type of certificate. In my case, the only mistake in the whole original process (that caused everything to fail) was that I requested the wrong certificate type. Once the correct certificate was requested, it all worked - and has been working ever since!

The type you want is "PKCS #7" no other type worked for me (we tried them all <G>).

If you cannot get it to work with JUST Tomcat at all, get a refund and RUN (don't walk) to the Thawte website and get one of theirs.

Cheers,

-Richard

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection whatsoever with Thawte. I receive nothing for endorsing their certificate. The only reason I endorse Thawte is that I know their certs do work with Tomcat, and their tech support is pretty good.

Subject: Re: Help! Anyone successfully install a purchased certificate?

They do have Apache instructions. But I guess I better
request that soon before the warranty runs out. LOL

They have instructions for how to do create and
install it with generic Java based servers but it
hasn't been specific enough with Tomcat.

-Matt

--- Ian Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>From what I understand, some different certificate
vendors require different
installation methods... Did they include
instructions for IIS or Apache, for
instance?

Worst possible case you could front-end your site(s)
with Apache and use
connectors to get to Tomcat.