It depends on your requirements.

For read only load balancing to achieve more performance
you might also consider to use replication:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

This way you could for exapmle setup 4 instances of
tomcat and 2 instances of postgreSQL where one db instance
is shared by two tomcats.

This is no true loadbalancing, but might give you
enough power through the use of serveral db instances.

The main drawbacks against true load balancing are:
- no simple fail over (you would have to implement on your own)
- no load based switching between databases. (The
  connectiones between the tomcat instances and
  the databases are rather static)

You migh also read the following article
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/presentations/os2002/johnson_darren.pdf

with pointers to other replication solution to postgreSQL.