I think I found the problem -- maybe .

After comparing a saved version of a server.xml
and one generated from the admin tool. It would appear that the one
from the admin tool generates a server.xml file that creates the error
for mod_jk. When I put the old version back in all is ok
Is there a known problem with the admin tool or
is there some updates to mod_jk that is causing the
problem. Also when updating the tomcat-user.xml file
directly it appears that these changes are over-written when
using the admin tool and once used you can only
keep changes using the admin tool for userid and passwords

thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Rob