RH 8 ships with Apache 2.0.40, and if you've applied RPM updates to your RH
installation, the 2.0.40 is further munged from a "standard" 2.0.40, as RH
has gone and backported all of the security and other fixes between .40 and
.44 to their .40 instead of just distributing .44.

Depending on where you got your mod_jk.so file, it's probably not the
correct .so file for your version of Apache.  The binaries available from
the Jakarta site are for .43 and .44.

Either:

- build your own connector from source against the .40 you probably have
installed

OR

- uninstall/remove the version of Apache you have, install Apache .44 from
an Apache mirror, and use the JK binary from the Jakarta site

See my HOWTO for 7.2.  It's not for 8, but I never use the Apache that comes
with RH, I always roll my own from source, so the steps in the HOWTO do
apply to you, that is, getting .44 and installing it:
http://www.johnturner.com/howto  If you look at the Solaris HOWTO on that
page, there are also steps for building the JK connector from source.  The
steps are identical on RH 7.x/8.

John