From: Simon Kitching [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 March 2003 1:56 p.m.
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Starting Tomcat results in multiple Java processes

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 13:43, Chris Dodunski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, only just noticed that myself.  Of the two that aren't, I reduced
> minProcessors to 1, and maxProcessors to 2 (server.xml).  But alas, upon
> restarting Tomcat, I still have 26 Java processes running!  Please, what
> must I do to reduce these?

I suggest you chill out, and don't worry about them.

They are *threads* not processes, and a few *hundred* threads really
won't bother any decent operating system. Yes, the "ps" list looks a bit
messy [that will go away with linux kernel 2.6 :- I presume you are
using Linux] but no harm is being done.

One note: have you got "hot deploy" enabled? At a guess, there will be a
thread monitoring the .war deploy directory (or one per webapp) which
could be disabled if you can live without hot-deploy. I guess some-one
more familiar with recent tomcat versions than I could confirm/deny
this. However even if it is possible to disable this, you are really
losing functionality for no real gain.

And setting maxProcessors to 2 means that if *three* people hit a url at
your website concurrently, one will have to wait until one of the
earlier users has finished receiving their page [or pages for http/1.1
persistent connections].

Regards,

Simon