I have this working now. Here is what I did:
* First of all, I changed my server.xml. Here is the section of that file that
matters to this issue:
<!-- Database configuration for MySQL -->
          <Context path="/bugtracker" docBase="bugtracker" debug="5" reloadable
="true" crossContext="true">
               <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" prefix
="localhost_DBTest_log." suffix=".txt"
                          timestamp="true"/>

               <Resource name="jdbc/bugtracker" auth="Container" type
="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
               <ResourceParams name="jdbc/bugtracker">
               <parameter>
                 <name>factory</name>
               </parameter>

               <!-- Maximum number of dB connections in pool. Make sure you
                     configure your mysqld max_connections large enough to
handle
                     all of your db connections. Set to 0 for no limit.
                     -->
               <parameter>
                 <name>maxActive</name>
                 <value>100</value>
               </parameter>

               <!-- Maximum number of idle dB connections to retain in pool.
                     Set to 0 for no limit.
                     -->
               <parameter>
                 <name>maxIdle</name>
                 <value>30</value>
               </parameter>

               <!-- Maximum time to wait for a dB connection to become available
in ms, in this example 10 seconds. An Exception is thrown if
                     this timeout is exceeded.  Set to -1 to wait indefinitely.
                     -->
               <parameter>
                 <name>maxWait</name>
                 <value>10000</value>
               </parameter>

               <!-- MySQL dB username and password for dB connections  -->
               <parameter>
                <name>username</name>
                <value>bugtracker</value>
               </parameter>
               <parameter>
                <name>password</name>
                <value>footin</value>
               </parameter>

               <!-- Class name for mm.mysql JDBC driver -->
               <parameter>
                  <name>driverClassName</name>
                  <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
               </parameter>

               <!-- The JDBC connection url for connecting to your MySQL dB.
                     The autoReconnect=true argument to the url makes sure that
the
                     mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically reconnect if mysqld
closed the
                     connection.  mysqld by default closes idle connections
after 8 hours.
                     -->
               <parameter>
                 <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/bugtracker?autoReconnect=true</value>
               </parameter>
               </ResourceParams>
               </Context>

* The jdbc jar file only works under \common\lib
* Changed the jndi line in the Java class to reference 'bugtracker'
* Thanks for all your help!

                    "Gerlinde Fischer"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                    amberg.de>                         cc:

                                                       Subject:     AW:
java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class
                    03/12/2003 05:47 AM                 'null'

                    Please respond to "Tomcat

                    Users List"

Hi

where ist your Database Connection? In the server.xml in the
context for your test application.

The jdbc.driver must be placed into the directory
common/lib.

I hope this will help.

Regards Gerlinde

that
> the
>                      mm.mysql JDBC Driver will automatically

reconnect if mysqld
> closed the
>                      connection.  mysqld by
default closes idle
> connections
> after 8 hours.
>                      -->
>                <parameter>
>                  <name>url</name>
>                 <!--

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/javatest?autoReconnect=true</value>-->