How does one turn on the secure logon feature (MD5 Digest) in Tomcat's WebDAV server?

I cannot find any documentation on the "auth-method" parameter in the virtual host's "web.xml" file:

  <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>Tomcat Supported Realm</realm-name>
  </login-config>

I tried replacing "BASIC" with "DIGEST". I am not sure if it is working or not, but my WebDAV client (Mac OS X Finder) fails to connect, with the logon dialog repeatedly displayed. The Finder connects properly if I use the "BASIC" value.

I looked in the Tomcat documentation, perused Remy's source code, googled, and even searched the >43,000 messages I've archived from this list, but I cannot locate information about the "auth-method".

I have Tomcat 4.1.21 beta running on Mac OX X 10.2.4 with Java 1.4.1.

--Basil Bourque