Gavin, Rick wrote:
------------
I'd recommend getting a Serlvet programming book and optionally a JSP book. They will come in very handy for these questions.
really? I have one of each, neither mention the subject or either
classes mentioned. Maybe before you make a vague suggestion like "get a book" , you may want to qualify about whether or not the desired result is possible and suggest an appropriate resource that may actually contain said information( book title, etc,).

Its always nice to try something a little different and be demoted
to idiot status with the statment , "get a book"

Does anyone have an useful information

The book that I learned servlet programming from didn't talk about Filters either, because they are relatively new and the book (<http://coreservlets.com/>) was published a couple of years ago.

You can learn more about them in a newer book, in the servlet specification (<http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html>), or in an article (<http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-06-2001/jw-0622-filters.html>). Reading that article in conjunction with the spec made it really easy to understand what they are and how they work.

Erik