I'm with you on this request.  I'm currently just serving static content
with Tomcat, but luckily the traffic for this content is low.

It seems this would require an Apache mod that integrated with the Tomcat
Realm system, at least requiring Apache authentication and module building
knowledge as well as some method of integrating with Tomcat through that
mod.

I, unfortunately, do not have the time to research and build such a module
:(