Michael,

I am in a very similar position to you, and I don't have any help, but I
wanted to indicate that you're not alone.

Our app uses a properties file which is put into the classpath.  There
are new mechanisms for using properties files, but we've been doing it
this way since Tomcat 3.2 and I'd rather just find a way to get the
properties file into the classpath.  I can massage the classpath in the
setenv script for command line execution, and I can hack the registry's
-Djava.class.path parameter (I'm on Win2K), but if I want to run two
Tomcats as SERVICES on the same Windows box, the only thing I've been
able to come up with is to install Tomcat twice, to two different
directories, and hack the two different java.class.path registry
settings.

So you might look up the doc on setting properties files into
server.xml(?) but I'd love to hear from anyone running multiple Tomcats
on a Win2K box with a custom file (.zip file or properties file) in the
classpath, with different versions for each Tomcat server.  I have not
been able to massage a classpath init-param into web.xml to save my
life.

Andrew Longley
MindFlow Technologies, Inc.
www.mindflow.com