I'm building a web application (or two) with Tomcat (4.1.18 LE, Windows 2000). Every
time my connection to the internet goes down (or Sun's website...), Tomcat stops
working, unable to resolve DTDs.

Is this the correct behaviour? From googling, I gather that Tomcat is supposed to keep
a local cache of DTDs. Do I have to turn this behaviour on?

In case this is the expected behaviour, I'm trying to change all XML files to refer to
local copies of DTDs. For web.xml this is fine, I can change

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<!DOCTYPE web-app SYSTEM "web-app_2_3.dtd">,

stick the DTD file in WEB-INF and I'm done. But my application also features a tag
library. Sticking

<!DOCTYPE taglib SYSTEM "web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd">

at the top of my TLD file, and putting the DTD in the jar's META-INF path doesn't work:

SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 2 column -1: Relative URI
"web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd"; can not be resolved without a base URI.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Relative URI "web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd"; can not be
resolved without a base URI.
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3182)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3176)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.resolveURI(Parser2.java:2758)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeExternalID(Parser2.java:2730)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeDoctypeDecl(Parser2.java:1129)
        (snip huge stack trace)

So can anyone help with either approach?

Cheers, Simon