Before I dive into hacking a bunch of Tomcat source
code, I would very much like to solicit the opinions of
some more experienced users.

I need a form-login authorization scenario that
integrates with some of my other webapps. Specifically,
I need to know the username, real name and group info
of the person who has logged in.

I used to use Resin, and my solution was something like
this: I created my own custom Authenticator class
(similar to Tomcat Realms). Resin passed the
HttpServletRequest to the Authenticator class. I
queried a MySql database to verify login information,
and then inserted some values from the database into
the HttpSession of the request that was passed. That
way, later on, my apps could look in the session to
find out about arbitrary pieces of information I had
stored about who had logged in.

My initial thought was to create a custom Realm, but I
don't see a way to access the HttpServletRequest that
is seeking authentication. Have I missed something
there?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for
accomplishing what I am trying to do? Is there a way to
access the Principal of a given request after the user
has been authenticated? Would it maybe be possible to
create a custom Principal capable of storing the other
properties I need? Any pointers, suggestions or ideas
would be much appreciated. Also, if you know of any
projects that have already done this, I'd love to check
them out so I'm not reinventing the wheel.

Gregg