Howdy,

> >server logs all those messages to TOMCAT_HOME\logs\stderr.log -
>
> Really?  Not to $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out?

yes, really :)

> >unfortunately I can't persuaded the remote Tomcat to do same, although
> both
>
> So what is the remote server doing?  I would assume it's writing logs on
> its own machine.  Do you want the remote server to write the logs across
> the network to your machine?

No, it fills the localhost_log.DATE.txt, localhost_admin_log.DATE.txt,
localhost_examples_log.DATE.txt and the catalina.out but of these contains
*my* messages. They are of course written in its own /log dir. I log onto that
machine via ssh and can therefore check the logs.

Regards

Jan