Sometimes it helps to recreate the exception...

URL url = new URL("Group/Tomcat");
will result in:
java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Group/Tomcat

My guess is that since you are getting an java.rmi.ServerException, the
exception is being generated on the server after the RMI connection
takes place.

So, it seems to me you need to find that string "Group/Tomcat" (e.g.,
grep for it) and find out where that is being placed into a URL.

I have no idea why this would happen with Tomcat and not in eclipse
though.

Chris

--
Christopher D. Gokey, SSAI, NASA/GCMD
18 Martin Road, Shelburne Falls, MA  01370