For IDE I would suggest netbeans or eclipse... There is always a debait going on, on
which one is better than the other, but obviously as with any such product both have
cons and pros.
Sourcecode examples are in the examples directory under /tomcat/webapps/examples/
Start there for generic examples, then check out some opensource projects for more
specific sample code.

Hope it helps
-reynir