The problem with filters is:

The problem is that the security contrains are evaluated before the
filter. So I guess that you may have to implement that what you want to
achive with the constraints on your own. (Or you have to configure apache
to do it, and this way omit the constraints from tomcat.)

One tomcat specific way to come around that may be a Valve. (It is called
before any filter, but I don't know if it is called before the evaluation
of the constraints)
<<<

I get this information some months ago from Ralph Einfeldt.
Authentication is not part of the J2EE specification. So, if you want to
customize this step, you have to do it individually for each container.

Oliver

                      "Bill Barker"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         An:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      e.com>                   Kopie:

                      Gesendet von:            Thema:   Re: JAAS LoginModule ?

                      news

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .org>

                      30.05.2003 09:06

                      Bitte antworten

                      an "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Nope. Realms and Authenticators are Tomcat-specific.   There are reports on
this list of people using Filters to do much the same thing (i.e. search
the
archives).

"Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> How can I do if I want to implmenet an Authenicator that can use in any
> other application servers.(JBoss, WebLogic, etc) ?
>
> Eric

They