We just chased down a problem with the struts jar file being locked after being removed by the manager. The solution I found in the struts mailing list archives was to add the dtd files from the struts jar file to WEB-INF/classes as a work-around. Maybe that will get you pointed in the right direction on your locking problem.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

Jason Koeninger
J&J Computer Consulting
http://www.jjcc.com

Rais Bonny wrote:

Thanks again.

I'll remove the reference to commons-logging from the app and use the one in the common directory.

I have tried to remove the app using the manager app and this is
where the whole thing started - all the files in my WEB-INF/lib
remain locked and that includes some jar files which are part of the
app itself, and some files which belong to struts, etc. What is this shutdown interface? The servlet implements the destroy method and attempts to release all the configuration and other stuff it created, but that still is not enough... Is there a way to tell
tomcat to release everything related to a servlet or web app or
does one need to implement this himself?

Bonny