Pascal,

I've been trying the same thing with Redhat 9, and
getting a similar problem.  I even put
/home/apache/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf and ran
/sbin/ldconfig -v.  I verified that that shared
libraries are indeed loaded.

I also tried modifying /home/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh to
include a -Djava.library.path=[various things], but
that failed to work as well.

I'll think about it some more tomorrow.

One thing to note:  In the source code, there has been
a recent change from apr_MD5FINAL to apr_md5_final.
I'm wondering if the propagation has made it all the
way through.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .