Howdy,

>i'm trying to simply setup and retrieve an environment variable and i

Then what's all this JNI stuff ;)

Consider using the System.getProperty() approach, and launching java
with the environment variable as a system property.  For example, say
you want to retrieve the value of the PATH variable:
- Add -DPATH=%PATH% (on windows) or -DPATH=$PATH (on unix) to your java
invocation, e.g. by modifying JAVA_OPTS in
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh.
- Retrieve the value using System.getProperty("PATH");

>i have included all the jar files that are necessary.. this is the
error
>it gives me
>
>java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no msjava_tools_1_5_nativ_msjnimanager
>in java.l
>ibrary.path
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1403)
>        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:788)
>        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:832)
>        at
>msjava.tools.nativ.MSJNIManager.<clinit>(MSJNIManager.java:53)
>        at
>msjava.tools.env.EnvironmentJNI.<clinit>(EnvironmentJNI.java:30)
>        at
>msjava.tools.env.MSEnvironmentVariable.getValue(MSEnvironmentVariable
>.java:89)

This is obviously a MSJNIManager error.  Consult its documentation for
what it expects on the java library path: my guess is you're missing a
dll (not a jar) there.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.