I have solved my problem.  JDK had some jar files that were conflicting with running
Tomcat.  I did, however, (FOR THE RECORD) require the servlet.jar file to be placed in
the JDK1.3.1\jre\lib\ext   folder.  Perhaps the newer versions do not require this but
I Tomcat 3.2.3 does.

THANK YOU!!!!! to all of those who tried all this time to give me advice.  You
certainly helped me find the right path to my solution.  YOU ALL ROCK!!!

Ivon