Just a word of caution.
Running Tomcat as root can be a pretty serious security hole.
Anyone who can put a put a JSP file onto your server can run
java programs as root.  Since Java can execute shell commands,
you've pretty much opened the door for someone to run anything they want.

If multiple user's have access to this machine, you may want to either spend
the time, upfront, to integrate with Apache or go back to running Tomcat on a
high port number.   I'm using Port forwarding at the router level to allows
browsers to access JSPs on Port 80.  When we're ready to deploy, I'll tackle
integrating Apache and Tomcat.

PS: Has anyone ever considered a separate list for integration?  It seems like
a large percentage of messages on this list are due to that one issue. Thank
God for John Turner...  :-)

-Ben

On Monday 16 June 2003 08:35 am, John Turner wrote:
> Well, errors are generally bad.
>
> John
>
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:17:31 -0700, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ok, thanks.  Changing TOMCAT_USER in tomcat3.conf to 'root' did the
> > trick, eventually.  I had errors in several chown commands during the
> > setup for start.  I just commented them out, since there shouldn't be any
> > need for a root user to access files, right?
> >
> > Anyway, it's running now, on port 80 and I can move on
> >
> > Again, thanks!
> >
> > Regards, Terry Fuller
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> > In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/13/2003 at 02:36 PM, John
> >
> > Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> >> The only user with permission to bind to port 80 is "root".

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

REGISTER NOW FOR THE SCORPEO USER CONFERENCE!
September 18-19, 2003 in Boston/Brookline, MA
Additional Training Sessions held September 17, 2003
More info >> http://www.fwdco.com/services/Uconf03/default.shtm