Sure, that could be done, but I honestly don't see the value. The only way this is "better" or "easier" is if you have your servlets spread out all over the place. Otherwise, you can handle everything you need with two mappings:

/app/*.jsp
/app/some-string-here/*

Since Tomcat doesn't "do" anything with any other type of file, and since Apache is perfectly capable of handling every other file type besides JSP and servlet, what's the need for more functionality? I'm not arguing, just wondering what the advantage is.

John