Antony wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I had never thought of the RAID sub system. My
situation is that there is no one I know to advice me in this regard and my
company can't affod any highly paid consultancy. That is why asked a
question like this here.
   Another question. Do Tomcat a requires a faster hard disk. The
application uses JSP and Servlets only. No HTML pages are used and it
generates some PDF and Excel files. It also serves some small images files
from local hard disk. I think Tomcat will cache these images. Now my concern
is  whether Tomcat's performance increases by faster DDR RAM.

regards Antony

Antony,

The answer to your problem is not in better RAM, a faster hard drive or even an expensive consultant. In what I consider "deep-s**t" situations like yours, where you have little time, no money and nobody you can turn to except yourself and the mailing list, your best bet is to deploy quickly and try getting money in, first. Why ? Because you're never going to have enough resources (hard drive, RAM, CPU) unless you make enough money to justify those resources.

For example, if I have a single-processor Pentium II 400MHz machine with a 40GB hard drive and 128MB RAM, I would benchmark it against the number of concurrent connections it can handle. I would then take that number and multiply it by 10 to give me a total number of customers (in Asia this is realistic, though I cannot say for other parts of the world). I would calculate how much money I would make off those customers and then see if I should :
(a) invest in more hardware (RAM, CPU, HDD)
(b) buy another server
(c) hire a consultant
(d) give myself an obscene amount of money !

Hope this helps !

Regards,
pascal chong