IN GENERAL:
For any two domains, A and  B, if B is a subdomain of A (e.g., B.A), and if two
different J2EE app servers are hosting those domains, the following will be true,
assuming that the two appservers create session cookies that are identical except for
the domain (note that a cookie consists of: name, domain, path, expiration):

* If a user, running Internet Explorer, uses J2EE apps running on both domains,
causing a session to be established on both domains simultaneously, the client
accessing the application running in domain B will not be able to access a session
established in domain B.

This is due to the fact that IE orders cookies from least-specific to most-specific
WITH RESPECT TO DOMAIN in an HTTP request.  ANY app server that looks for the FIRST
cookie named JSESSIONID will be susceptible to this problem.

EXAMPLE:
In our case, tomcat was serving up JSPs on "x.com", causing a J2EE servlet session to
be created when that page was loaded.  Immediately after hitting x.com, "w.x.com" was
being loaded, which also caused a session to be created.  Both sessions were being
identified by cookies set in the client browser.  The cookies both had an ID of
JSESSIONID, with an identical path.  The only difference between the cookies was the
domain (one was "x.com", and the other was "w.x.com").  When interacting with the app
on w.x.com, each request included an HTTP header  specifying client-side cookies.  In
that header, the JSESSIONID created by x.com was ordered BEFORE the JSESSIONID created
by w.x.com.  The appserver on domain w.x.com was consequently attempting to find the
session that had been created on x.com, and since it could not, was creating a new
session with each request.

Dave Keyes