I apologize if a similar question has been asked before, but I couldn't
find anything like this in the archive.

What I am trying to do is as follows:  I have a filter which is attached
to a servlet which is preloaded.  When tomcat starts up, it loads the
servlet and its filters into memory and calls the corresponding init
methods.  In the init of the filter, the code attempts to retrieve a
reference to the MBeanServer and register an MBean.  During startup,
however, it appears that the server is null (i.e. hasn't been started).
I know that Tomcat ships with the mx4j server/classes, so I was
wondering if there is a way to instruct Tomcat to load the mbean server
so that it is available even for filters/servlets that are loaded on
startup?  (I know that there is a way to use the mbeans descriptor file,
but unfortunately this mbean is dynamic and created and referenced in
the code directly so it can't be initialized outside of the filter's
scope. )

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

TIA,
Mayer