It looks, at first glance, that you are running a system with only the JRE,
and not the JDK.  To compile JSP pages, you need the JDK, and need to point
JAVA_HOME to the JDK root, not the JRE root (e.g. JAVA_HOME=/usr/java, not
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre).

I'm very interested in potential 3.3.x errors, but I can't determine  much
more from what you have posted so far.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Everything was working fine this afternoon.  This evening nothing works.
I'm now getting the dreaded java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
sun/tools/javac/Main.

> Just before this, I was getting an abstract error method, failing to find
TLD information.  There weren't any library tags in the page being compiled,
so I removed the taglib definition statement from the JSP -- that's what
brought me to this.

> The most significant change I've made was to add a number of init-param
tags to the web.xml for this servlet.  These had a bunch of syntax errors,
which I think I've now cleared up [tho' is there a good reference for
web.xml content?]

> Running Tomcat 3.3.1. (yes, I know), but can anyone help?
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
> at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:136)
> at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JasperLiaison.javac(JspInterceptor.java:889)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.JasperLiaison.processJspFile(JspInterceptor.java:73
3)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.JspInterceptor.requestMap(JspInterceptor.java:506)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.processRequest(ContextManager.java:968
)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.RequestDispatcherImpl.doForward(RequestDispatcherIm
pl.java:259)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(RequestDispatcherImpl
.java:174)
> at SME.SMEcontrol.doPost(SMEcontrol.nrx:336)
> at SME.SMEcontrol.doGet(SMEcontrol.nrx:348)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(ServletHandler.java:574)
> at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Handler.java:322)
> at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:235)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(ServletHandler.java:485)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:91
7)
> at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:833)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Http10I
nterceptor.java:176)
> at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:494)
> at
a:516)