Howdy,

>I haven't found any straightforward instructions to use servlets on
tomcat
>5.*.  I have hard time configuring it as well.

That's because to run servlets on tomcat 5.x is the same as 4.x.

>On Tomcat 4.0 and earlier I could just drop servlet.jar in my jdk/lib
and
>fix the classpath.  Then I could just drop servlets into the class
>directory and they worked.

This is by far the most wrong way I've ever seen to configure tomcat 4.x
;)  So congratulations on that.  Tomcat 4.x comes with servlet.jar in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib: you shouldn't have another copy anywhere.
You shouldn't modify any classpaths, neither in the environment nor in
the tomcat startup/shutdown scripts.  You should just put the classes
your webapp needs in its own WEB-INF/lib or WEB-INF/classes directory.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.