From: mike jackson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 5:05 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: JDBC Pooling Clarification

Personally I've had problems with Oracle's connection pooling (didn't
cleanup the connections before handing them out, the connects were
arriving dirty to begin with).  But, barring those issues, if you use a
"generic" connection pooling system, rather than the oracle one, it'll
make it easier to move from one database vendor to other in the future.
If you're going to do this you're going to want to find one that returns
"native" statements rather than wrapped statements, some oracle things
need the native oracle statement, and won't work with a wrapped
connection (the xsql tools come to mind).  Also, you're probably going
to want one that'll tell you what's going on in the pool.  Personally I
use poolman, which is missing the native statements issue, but its easy
to work around it.  Your mileage may vary, batteries not include, some
assembly required.

--mikej
-=------
mike jackson