> // Member variable > protected Object m_synchObj = new Object();

Yes, your service() method will be run multi-threaded, but all of those threads share the same *servlet* member variables (declared outside your service() method). They do not, as you asked, each have their own copy of that variable. If you synch on an object created there, all request threads running your servlet will wait on a lock for that object.

It's very possible that Tomcat may already synch on session creation, I don't know (and I can't look at the source from where I'm at now) ... perhaps someone else out there knows or can check?

As I said, if I wanted to make ABSOLUTELY sure that no two threads had your problem, I would feel comfortable synching like this unless the number of concurrent requests was very, very, high (which would be very rare). If Tomcat already synchs, then I would look into using an HttpSessionListener (Disclaimer: I haven't fully thought through that option yet).

justin