Make sure that your JAVA_HOME evironment variable is properly set.

From the command line type:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin\javac

If you get a "Program not found" error, then it's not set right.
Any time that servlets work but JSPs don't, start by making sure that Tomcat:
A) Can find the java compiler
B) Has write permissions for the "work" directory.

On Monday 07 July 2003 08:18 am, sharath chandra wrote:

> Hello There,
>
> I am having three problem on the whole with tomcat as
> a standalone server.
>
> My operating system is Windows-XP Home Edition with
> good memory and hard disk.
>
> I have installed JDK1.3 and i have been using it for
> the last 10 months.and the path is appropriately set.I
> can run javac or java or jar from any directory.
>

> I downloaded at least three to four different versions
> of tomcat server but i am not able to run any JSP's
> not even the one in the testing page.
>

> FIRST PROBLEM:
>
> When i install jakarta-tomcat-3.2.4 i am able to start
> the server but nothing works.
>  I am able to run servlet(my own) from it but neither
> the example JSP's nor the servlets run and i browser
> returns me an error page with an exception in it and
> error number 500.
>
>  The exception is:
>
> Error: 500
> Location: /examples/jsp/dates/date.jsp
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.context.ExceptionHandler.doService(DefaultCMSetter.java:2
>89) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:287)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.handleError(ContextManager.java:1177)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:312)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:8
>06) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:752)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http
>ConnectionHandler.java:213) at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416)
>       at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
>

> p.s: This date.jsp is the example jsp came with the
> tomcat.
> No matter whichever jsp i run i get the same error
> page.
>

> SECOND PROBLEM :
>
>  When i installed jakarta-tomcat-3.3.2-dev,the scene
> is the same nothing worlks but the error shown and
> thrown is differnt this time.
>
>  The exception is:
>
> Error: 500
> Location: /examples/jsp/dates/date.jsp
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParseException: Cannot read
> file: \jsp\dates\date.jsp
>       at
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.pushFile(JspReader.java:242)
> [...]

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

REGISTER NOW FOR THE SCORPEO USER CONFERENCE!
September 18-19, 2003 in Boston/Brookline, MA
Additional Training Sessions held September 17, 2003
More info >> http://www.fwdco.com/services/Uconf03/default.shtm