At 09:20 AM 7/11/2003 +0200, you wrote:
Jacob Kjome wrote:
Put any <Context> specific stuff in a context configuration file. See admin.xml and manager.xml in webapps for an example. You must be using the manager app to upload a .war file since the server.xml is getting reloaded. So, name your context configuration file "context.xml" and put it in the META-INF directory of your .war file. Now do the upload and your context information should be there.

Currently, given an application called, say "drs", I provide a file called "drs.xml" that sits in webapps. This contains the <Context></Context> part of server.xml. Does the META-INF/context.xml file do exactly the same thing? If so, which is preferred, if not, any pointers to where I can find out about it?

This all depends on how you are deploying your webapp. Do you add your .war file + your "drs.xml" file to the webapps directory at the same time, or does the .war file not exist until you upload it via the Tomcat manager app? If the latter, then providing the "drs.xml" file to Tomcat in webapps is going to confuse the hell out of Tomcat since it doesn't exist at Tomcat startup and the context will be marked as bad. When you then upload the war file, the "drs.xml" file will not be used to provide information for the .war file. Follow my previous instructions and don't put "drs.xml" in webapps unless you also put drs.war there at the same time. also, your docBase better be "drs.war" (or whatever the name of the .war file is) rather than a directory (such as "drs") since Tomcat won't expand the .war file if a <Context> entry is defined for a 'path' attribute matching the name of an existing .war file, less the .war extension. It should be...

<Context path="/drs" docBase="drs.war"/>

That also applies for the META-INF/context.xml. Of course you can add whatever else you need to the <Context/> entry, but the one I provided here is just the base minimum you require.

I cant find anything in the docs about this. (I run tc 4.1.14)

This is pretty old stuff. Why not run Tomcat-4.1.24?

Jake

Thanks,
Martin